International Journal of Ethnosport and Traditional Games Vol.2 (2) 2019
The article presents the results of a study of the habit of martial arts in Russia. The main trends in the development of martial arts and emerging contradictions are identified, factors for the steady growth of interest in them in society are identified. With an appeal to modern studies of myths and collective memory, a dichotomy has been established in the development of Russian martial arts: the pseudo-folklore (fakelore) project “Russian styles”, which is the author’s school of martial arts, is opposed by the folklore project for the restoration of authentic competitions “Russian Games”. «Russian styles» were born under the influence and in the image of oriental martial arts. “Russian Games” is the restoration project of traditional sports and games based on historical sources by learned anthropologists, cultural scientists, historians, folklorists and ethnographers. Meanwhile, in the mass perception of both projects represents a single phenomenon of “somatic nationalism”, which was determined in the analysis of a number of sociological studies. It is important to note that Russian martial arts are still noticeably inferior in popularity to other martial arts, among which Olympic sports dominate, as well as sports of members of the Global Association of International Sports Federations (GAISF). The development of Russian martial arts was strongly influenced by martial arts, whose enthusiasm is due to the European consciousness of Russians and therefore fits into the context of European orientalism. At the same time, the development of the martial arts of their people is perceived as useful and is determined by faith in the covenants of their ancestors, and the martial arts of other nations cause fears growing against the backdrop of patriotism. It is concluded that the steady growth of the tourism potential of the main event of Russian martial arts — the Atmanov’s Kulachki traditional games, included in the Register of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of the Russian Federation and owned the Russian Events Award, corresponds to the global trend of growing interest in such events, many of which have been included to the UNESCO ICH List.
ethnosport, combat sports, traditional wrestling, traditional combats, traditional sports and games.
1. Bazlov, G.N. Derevenskaya artel’ kulachnyh bojcov-rukopashnikov: Opyt rekonstrukcii: Po materialam severo-zapadnoj Rossii: dissertaciya … kandidata istoricheskih nauk: 07.00.07. Moskva, 2002.
2. Belov, A. (Selidor). Slavyano-gorickaya bor’ba. Iznachalie. M.: MPTP «Voskhod», 1993.
3. Černín, David (2019). Historical Antirealism and the Past as a Fictional Model. Institute of Philosophy of the Slovak Academy of Sciences, Institute of Philosophy of the Czech Academy of Sciences. Organon F, 1–25.
4. Gorbunov B.V. Tradicionnye rukopashnye sostyazaniya v narodnoj kul’ture vostochnyh slavyan XIX-nachala XX v: istoriko-etnograficheskoe issledovanie. M.: Institut etnologii i antropologii RAN, 1997.
5. In Ulyanovsk, the results of the TAFISA World Martial Arts Festival are being summed up. Press conference. Information portal ulpravda.ru December 10th 2019, retrieved from: https://ulpravda.ru/tv/press_konfernc/priamoi-efir-v-ulianovske-podvodiat-itogi-vsemirnogo-festivalia-boevykh-iskusstv-tafisa
6. Kadochnikov, A. Rukopashnyj boj dlya nachinayushchih. Rostov-na-Donu: Feniks, 2003.
7. Kylasov, A., Gavrov, S. Ethnocultural diversity of sport (2011) Encyclopedia of Life Support Systems (UNESCO EOLSS). December 10th 2019, retrieved from: http://www.eolss.net/Sample-Chapters/C05/E6-168-59.pdf
8. Kylasov, Alexey (2012). Ethnosport. The End of Decline (Sport: Kultur, Veränderung / Sport: Culture, Change). Published by LIT Verlag, 2015.
9. Kylasov A. V., Tedoradze A. S. Tezisy k formirovaniyu ponyatiya «tradicionnaya bor’ba» // V sbornike: «Boevye iskusstva i sportivnye edinoborstva: nauka, praktika, vospitanie». Materialy Vserossijskoj nauchno-prakticheskoj konferencii s mezhdunarodnym uchastiem. 2016. S. 144–151.
10. Kylasov Alexey. Marketing support of the Ethnosport Challenge World Series of tournaments // Uchenye zapiski Rossijskoj akademii predprinimatel’stva. Nauchno-prakticheskoe izdanie. T. 17, № 4. M: Rossijskaya akademiya predprinimatel’stva; Agentstvo pechati «Nauka i obrazovanie», 2018. S. 145–152.
11. Kylasov, A., Gureeva, E. (2019) Ethnosport and ethnic styled sport: comparative analysis of social efficiency. International Journal of Ethnosport and Traditional Games, (1), 60–68. DOI: https://www.doi.org/10.34685/HI.2019.1.1.010
12. Members of the Civic Chamber did not accept the report for 2017 of Sergey Kuzmin, Deputy Chairman of the Government of the Ulyanovsk Region. The official website of the Civic Chamber of the Ulyanovsk Region. December 10th 2019, retrieved from: https://opuo.ru/blog/2018/04/25/chleny-obshhestvennoj-palaty-ne-prinyali-otchet-zamestitelya-predsedatelya-pravitelstva-ulyanovskoj-oblasti-sergeya-kuzmina-za-2017-god/
13. Pupikat-Berkat by Arseny Sosnin. December 10th 2019, retrieved from: http://webground.su/rubric/2009/12/29/sport_boevye_iskusstva/retro/
14. Russian Union of Martial Arts. Federal Book “Sport of Russia”. December 10th 2019, retrieved from: http://federalbook.ru/files/SPORT/soderganie/Tom%202/kirienko1.pdf
15. Said, Edward (1978). Orientalism. New York: Pantheon.
16. Shodsanlat by Magomed Sukiev. December 10th 2019, retrieved from: https://etokavkaz.ru/sport/shodsanlat-bolshe-chem-borba
17. Singleton, Mark (2010). Yoga Body: The Origins of Modern Posture Practice. New York: Oxford University Press.
18. Subsection “Members of RUMA” on the official website of the organization. December 10th 2019, retrieved from: https://www.rsbi.ru/members
19. Tedoradze A.S. Russkie rukopashnye sostyazaniya kak yavlenie social’noj istorii agrarnogo obshchestva. Tambovskaya guberniya, vtoraya polovina XIX – pervaya polovina XX v.: dissertaciya … kandidata istoricheskih nauk: 07.00.02. Tambov, 2002.
20. The sport is «Oriental Martial Arts.» Unified All-Russian Sports Classification. Website of the Ministry of Sport of the Russian Federation. December 10th 2019, retrieved from: https://www.minsport.gov.ru/sport/high-sport/edinaya-vserossiyska/
21. Unified All-Russian Sports Classification. Website of the Ministry of Sport of the Russian Federation. December 10th 2019, retrieved from: https://www.minsport.gov.ru/sport/high-sport/edinaya-vserossiyska/
22. Zumid Osh by Alexander Glukhanich. December 10th 2019, retrieved from: http://anosplav.ru/